Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Patchwork, a little different




I do my best to give handmade gifts for the holidays. Most years I give at least one full-size quilt (usually to a family member.) This year it just didn't come together as I'd hoped so I instead made a few smaller things including several patchwork scarves.


...and now I'm hooked. I've always loved piecework and traditional quilting but there is something so liberating about using non-cotton fabrics and embellishments. I tried to manipulate the fabrics in some way - by quilting, beading, ruffling, layering organza or tulle, etc.

Brown lace layered over textured fabric (above); gathered tulle over light pink silk (below).

I loved this subtle bridal lace (also layered over textured fabric).

Loving doilies right now.

More bridal lace.

This ruffle technique is so much fun.

Quilting with metallic thread.

More quilting.


Overall, I really like the effect of the different colors and textures. I plan to make more of these because it's a great way to try out techniques on smaller pieces of fabric. I may actually use this to overcome my fear of fabric dye!

Adding this one to my shop, likely to be followed by others...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment